Cat Coulson

Artwork & Inspirations.

Experiments with Eco Printing

Leave a comment

Over the Easter break, fellow felt maker Linda Irving came to stay, and we had a couple of eco-dyeing experiments! The first lot of petals and moss were not that successful, but we found good results with rose leaves, ferns and red onion skins. The process was fairly straightforward – laying the items onto prefelt soaked in vinegar and rolling it up carefully, then wrapping as tightly as possible in yarn. It was then simmered in a vinegar water solution for about 4 hrs. The difficulty was waiting as long as possible to unwrap it and look! We managed almost 2 days on the second batch… The prints were very subtle but beautiful, it has definitely inspired me to do lots more research into the process and more experimenting through the year!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s